26/11 plotter Jundal abandoned family for terrorism
New Delhi: Driven by his commitment to jihad, 26/11 plotter Abu Jundal Hamza abandoned not only his family in India but also his Pakistani wife and two-year-old son in his adopted hometown of Muridke across the border to move to Saudi Arabia and create modules to stage more attacks in this country, his interrogators here say.
The interrogators, who have questioned Jundal since he was arrested here June 21 on his deportation from Saudi Arabia, have found it strange that he never made a request to speak to his wife and son.
"When asked if he wanted to talk to them, he provided a phone number. But, till now, they could not be contacted, as the number he provided is not in use," said an officer who has questioned Jundal.
An operative of the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), Jundal, an Indian, was one of the handlers of the 10 Pakistani terrorists who sneaked into Mumbai on November 26, 2008, to carry out an audacious three-day attack that claimed 166 lives. He has no remorse over the strike or abandoning his family, either in Beed in Maharashtra or in Muridke in Pakistan, to wage a jihad against India, the officer added.
Jundal had married a Pakistani girl in January 2009 to gain residency in Muridke, through which he managed to obtain a Pakistani passport and identity cards to live there and also frequently travel to Saudi Arabia, investigators said.
Jundal had been nabbed by Saudi Arabian authorities about a year ago. He was deported after India unmasked his identity and proved his involvement in terror cases in this country. Apart from 26/11, investigators say he also had a hand in the blast in the German Bakery in Pune and an arms haul in Aurangabad and had also been planning an attack on a police academy in Nashik on the lines of a similar attack in Lahore.
Indian probe agencies are now planning to request Pakistan to send Jundal`s wife and son to the Indian capital as early as possible.
"Jundal`s commitment to jihad is certainly greater than his love for his family," the officer said.
Through his marriage, Jundal had obtained a marriage certificate which enabled him to get a Pakistani identity card in the name of Riyasat Ali. His Pakistani passport, in the same name, was issued in January 2009 and is valid till 2014. His father`s name in the passport is mentioned asMohammed Khushi.
He first travelled to Saudi Arabia from Pakistan in 2010 and his frequent trips drew the Saudi authorities` attention. Hence, his LeT masters asked him to stay back in Saudi Arabia, with which he complied willingly. He has not visited his wife and son since.
In Saudi Arabia, Jundal had also met with Indian Mujahideen (IM) operatives Iqbal Bhatkal and Riyaj Bhatkal and sought their help in creating new IM modules in India to carry out future terror attacks, his interrogators here said.
They have also discovered that Jundal first came in contact with the LeT in 2005 along with two other men from Maharashtra, Fayyaz Kagzi from Beed and Mohammad Rahil Sheikh from Thane through a Kashmiri operative of the terror outfit.
Since then, he had received training in maritime and aviation skills from the LeT in Pakistan.
"The elementary flying and seafaring classes took place when he went to Pakistan after the Aurangabad arms haul of 2006, in which Jundal played a key role," an investigator said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe