2G: CAG is legally illiterate person, says Raja
New Delhi: A Raja, former telecom
minister on Tuesday criticised in a court here the CAG report
estimating a loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore to exchequer in 2G
spectrum allocatio, saying its a "worthless paper" by a
"legally illiterate person".
"CAG report is a worthless paper," Raja said that it
was not relied upon even by the CBI which differed with the
Government`s auditor on the loss suffered to the national
"He (CAG) is a legally illiterate person like many of
us," his counsel and senior advocate Sushil Kumar submitted
before special judge O P Saini.
"CAG says market value was not received and
that 2G spectrum was not allocated at its then current market
value," he said adding that "CAG is just an accountant."
"Not once did the accountant (CAG) talk of his
(Raja`s) obligation to auction.
"He is not a lawyer. But just an accountant. The
policy not to auction has been going on since 2003. Till the
time the government, not the BJP or the Congress
government, but the government of the people, changes it, that
would remain the policy," he said.
Kumar said the whole case was built on the CAG
report of November 8, 2010 which estimated the loss to the
exchequer at 1.76 lakh crore.
Referring to the Comptroller and Audiotor General of
India, he said, "This accountant, howsoever high he may be,
has no knowledge of law."
He also told the court that even the CBI has not
relied upon the CAG report on the presumptive loss due to
spectrum allocation under Raja.
"Where has CBI relied on it? It has also given two
figures of 22,000 crore and 30,000 crore.
"Everybody is mixed up in this case becuase no one has
seen such big figure of 1.76 lakh crore."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends