2G case: Maran may be questioned soon
New Delhi: CBI is likely to question
former Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran in connection with
alleged favours shown to by him in spectrum allocation to some
telecom companies as alleged by former Aircel Chief C
Maran may be asked to give his clarification on the
allegations levelled by Sivasankaran and spectrum policy
changes made during his tenure during UPA-I after CBI
registers an FIR in the case, official sources said.
CBI has already registered a Preliminary Enquiry to
look into the spectrum allocation during the period 2001-07
which spans across three telecom ministers -- Pramod Mahajan,
Arun Shourie and Dayanidhi Maran, they said.
The agency is looking into financial transactions of
Sun TV, owned by Maran family, and Malaysia-based Maxis. It is
also looking into various aspects of takeover of Aircel by
Maxis group, they said.
According to laid down procedure, CBI registers a
Preliminary Enquiry upon receiving any complaint and when
anything substantial is discovered this enquiry is converted
into a Regular Case.
Former telecom minister Arun Shourie, who held the
charge between 2003-04, has already been questioned by the CBI
on February 25 in detail about the allocation of telecom
airwaves during his tenure but the agency "so far" has not
found anything against him, they said.
The agency has registered a preliminary enquiry
against "unknown persons" on Supreme Court`s directive to
detect any alleged anomaly in `first-come-first-served` of
Cabinet during spectrum allocation between 2001-07.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof