2G case: Maran may be questioned soon
New Delhi: CBI is likely to question
former Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran in connection with
alleged favours shown to by him in spectrum allocation to some
telecom companies as alleged by former Aircel Chief C
Maran may be asked to give his clarification on the
allegations levelled by Sivasankaran and spectrum policy
changes made during his tenure during UPA-I after CBI
registers an FIR in the case, official sources said.
CBI has already registered a Preliminary Enquiry to
look into the spectrum allocation during the period 2001-07
which spans across three telecom ministers -- Pramod Mahajan,
Arun Shourie and Dayanidhi Maran, they said.
The agency is looking into financial transactions of
Sun TV, owned by Maran family, and Malaysia-based Maxis. It is
also looking into various aspects of takeover of Aircel by
Maxis group, they said.
According to laid down procedure, CBI registers a
Preliminary Enquiry upon receiving any complaint and when
anything substantial is discovered this enquiry is converted
into a Regular Case.
Former telecom minister Arun Shourie, who held the
charge between 2003-04, has already been questioned by the CBI
on February 25 in detail about the allocation of telecom
airwaves during his tenure but the agency "so far" has not
found anything against him, they said.
The agency has registered a preliminary enquiry
against "unknown persons" on Supreme Court`s directive to
detect any alleged anomaly in `first-come-first-served` of
Cabinet during spectrum allocation between 2001-07.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'