2G scam: Delhi HC reserves order on bail plea of Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar
New Delhi: In a major set-back to the DMK supremo’s daughter Kanimozhi’s bail plea in the 2G spectrum allocation scam case, Delhi High court on Monday reserved the decision on her bail plea as well as of Kalaignar TV chief Sharad Kumar.
The hearing would be followed by the Delhi High court judge who is following the case. For the next hearing no further date has been declared yet, according to news report.
Justice Ajit Bharihoke asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to submit the documents showing a transaction of Rs 200 crore from Dynamix Realty to the Kalaignar TV.
The CBI named Kanimozhi and Sharad Kumar as co-conspirators in its April 25 supplementary chargesheet after it traced an illegal money trail of Rs 200 crore in the scam to Kalaignar TV, majority-owned by the family of Karunanidhi.
Kanimozhi has to stay in jail till the next hearing. Her chances of getting bail seems to be bleak as CBI thinks that if she is granted bail she with her party members can manipulate the witness and tamper the evidence.
The reports further said, as this is a very sensitive and high level case, the court order has been reserved. If her bail is rejected then the DMK MP can move to the Supreme Court and if she gets the bail then CBI will move to the Supreme Court.
In the mean time Kanimozhi have to be in the judicial custody. She will have to be present at the Patiyala House Court for every hearing.
As far as the investigating agency is concerned they will not get affected in anyways. But Kanimozhi is expecting something positive from the court claiming she has cooperated through-out the court process and therefore she should be granted bail at earliest.
Arguing on behalf of Kanimozhi and Sharad Kumar, counsel Aftab Alam said the bail pleas of five corporates were rejected by the court as they were involved in the spectrum allocation.
"As far as my clients are concerned, we are not the allottees of the spectrum," said Alam.
Mean while the people from the Kanimozhi side are keeping quite as they also have to wait and watch till the further hearing.
Opposing the plea, special public prosecutor UU Lalit said that "the money which was transferred to Kalaignar TV has come from Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Balwa and his partner Vinod Goenka".
Kanimozhi along with Sharad Kumar had moved the High court after a special CBI court dismissed their bail pleas and ordered their arrest on May 20.
Both Kanimozhi and Kumar are currently in Tihar Jail.
The High Court had on May 24 adjourned the hearing on DMK MP’s bail plea till May 30.
Kanimozhi had moved the Delhi High Court against the order of a trial court that had denied her bail and sent her to jail.
Both Kanimozhi and Kumar have 20 percent stake each in the TV channel with DMK chief`s wife Dayalu Ammal having the remaining 60 percent stake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok