2G scam: No bail for Kanimozhi, for now
New Delhi: A special CBI court, Monday, reserved its order on the bail plea of DMK patriarch M Karunanidhi’s daughter and Rajya Sabha MP Kanimozhi and six others accused in the 2G spectrum case.
The court would pronounce its verdict on November 3.
Importantly, the CBI told the court today that it does not oppose the bail of Kanimozhi and four others -- Karim Morani, Asif Balwa, Rajiv Aggarwal and Sharad Kumar.
However, the bail plea of two other accused Shahid Balwa and RK Chandolia was opposed by the CBI.
Giving reasons for not opposing the bail, Special public prosecutor UU Lalit said Kanimozhi and four others faced "specific" charges, apart from the "umbrella section" of 120-B (criminal conspiracy) IPC, which entail only five years sentence as maximum punishment.
"Let’s put Shahid Balwa and Chandolia in different category at this stage...I submit, one can make distinction so far as those for whom maximum punishment can be five years and those against whom maximum punishment can be seven years.
"At this juncture, I am opposing the bail pleas of accused Chandolia and Shahid Balwa," Lalit told Special CBI Judge O P Saini.
Regarding Kanimozhi and four others, Lalit said, "Of course, bail should be granted to them subject to discretion of the court which may impose certain conditions to ensure their presence during the hearings."
Kanimozhi, Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar, Directors of Kusegaon Fruits & Vegetables Asif Balwa, Rajiv Agarwal and Bollywood producer Karim Morani, today moved their bail plea in the wake of framing of charges against them in the case.
DMK chief Karunanidhi has been camping in Delhi since Friday amid hopes that the special court will consider the bail application of his daughter Kanimozhi.
Kanimozhi’s mother Rajathi Ammal and grandson Adithya are also in the capital awaiting her release.
She was last week charged with criminal conspiracy and criminal breach of trust.
All those whose bail was not opposed by the CBI were named in the supplementary chargesheet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi