37,000 pilgrims registered for Amarnath pilgrimage
Jammu: With the registration entering 4th day on Friday, over 37000 pilgrims have so far enrolled themselves for the annual pilgrimage to the 13500-feet high
holy cave shrine of Amarnath in South Kashmir.
The Shri Amarnath Shrine Board began the registration process on May 10 for the yatra which will commence on June 29 and culminate on August 13.
"The registration counters have been set up at 121 designated branches of the J&K Bank, 24 of the YES Bank and four of the District Cooperative Banks," SASB spokesman said.
The Shrine Board, at its meeting on February 18 this year, has curtailed the period of the annual pilgrimage by 15 days. The yatra will commence simultaneously from Baltal and Chandanwari routes on June 29 and culminate on August 13.
Traditionally, the yatra used to run for two months beginning June 15.
There has been no increase in the fee of Rs 15 for registration either through the counters or the internet, the spokesman said.
Opposing curtailment of the yatra, the Baba Amarnath Yatri Niyas (BAYN), an amalgam of some 30 religious, social and trade organisations, has vowed to commence the pilgrimage on June 15. The VHP has also threatened to start the yatra from June 15.
The SASB has defended its decision saying the step was taken to ensure safe and smooth conduct of the arduous pilgrimage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt