63 Indian, Pak agents held for spying: Govt
New Delhi: As many as 63 Indians and Pakistani espionage agents were neutralised from various states across the country during the last three years, the Lok Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
"Out of 63 agents, 53 were neutralised in the border states (Rajasthan-9, Himachal Pradesh-3, Uttar Pradesh-5, Punjab-24, Jammu and Kashmir-1, Maharashtra-1, Tripura-2, Bihar-1 and Uttarakhand-3). Among them, 49 were Indians and 14 Pakistani nationals," Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh said in a written reply.
He said 26 agents were arrested in 2009, 18 in 2010, 14 in 2011 and five between January and August 20, this year.
"Out of the 63 arrested agents, three were found to have been involved in criminal activities such as being in possession of illegal arms and Fake Indian Currency Notes," he said.
The Government is pursuing a well-coordinated and multi-pronged approach to tackle espionage activities including strengthening of border management to check illegal cross border activities, strengthening of state and central intelligence machinery and upgradation of police and security forces with advanced sophisticated weapons and communication system, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are