75 arrested as Ayodhya march concludes
Lucknow: At least 75 people were arrested and four dozens detained on Friday in Uttar Pradesh as the VHP`s Ayodhya march concluded, officials said.
Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) activists said despite the state government`s ban, the "84 kosi parikrama yatra" of the Hindu saints, launched on August 25, continued over the last 20 days and concluded in Makauda.
The boundaries of Gonda and Basti areas were sealed late Thursday to prevent the entry of VHP leaders.
The divisional commissioner and inspector general police inspected the areas on Thursday and three companies of the Rapid Action Force and the Central Reserve Police Force were deployed.
Meanwhile, people complained of being harassed by police and said that owing to the clamp-down they were forced to take difficult alternative routes to approach Lucknow, Azamgarh, Faizabad and Gorakhpur.
VHP general secretary Sampat Rai said that the restrictions were imposed to appease a particular community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore