Accident compensation should be pragmatic and realistic:SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has held that there cannot be actual compensation for anguish and mental tribulations for victims of motor accident and it should be based on some pragmatic computation and realistic approach.
"There cannot be actual compensation for anguish of the heart or for mental tribulations.It quintessentially lies in the pragmatic computation of the loss sustained which has to be in the realm of realistic approximation," the apex court said.
A bench of justices K S Radhakrishnan and Dipak Misra also said a person is to be compensated not only for the physical injury, but also for the loss which he suffered as a result of such injury.
"He is to be compensated for his inability to lead a full life, his inability to enjoy those normal amenities which he would have enjoyed but for the injuries, and his inability to earn as much as he used to earn or could have earned," said Justice Misra writing the judgement for the bench.
The bench gave the ruling while partly allowing the appeal of road mishap victim K Suresh against a Madras High Court order which had reduced his compensation of Rs 25 lakh, awarded by the Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal, to Rs 9.78 lakh. It had also reduced the interest to 7.5 percent per annum from 9 percent granted by the tribunal.
The apex court enhanced the amount to Rs 13,48,000.
Citing its earlier rulings, the apex court said it becomes a challenge for courts to determine "just compensation" which it said "is neither a bonanza nor a windfall, and simultaneously, should not be a pittance.
"To elaborate, neither the tribunal nor a court can take a flight in fancy and award an exorbitant sum, for the concept of conventional sum, fall of money value and reasonableness are to be kept in view," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark