`Accident victims too to be examined for liquor consumption`
New Delhi: A Delhi court has ordered
mandatory medical examination of both the accused and the
complainant in a road accident case, questioning the
perception that the mishap victim is not at fault.
Motor Accident Claims Tribunal Judge Swarana Kanta
Sharma gave the order taking on record the city police chief`s
submission to the court that the police will now subject both
the driver of an offending vehicle and the mishap victim to
medical examination to ascertain who exactly is under the
influence of liquor.
"Now the investigating officers will mandatorily have
medical examinations of both the accused and the complainant /
injured (victim) to find out who has consumed liquor so that
the tribunal can reach a conclusion as to whether the accident
had taken place because of negligence of the complainant
himself," said the judge in her order.
The court gave its order as the city police had earlier
informed the court that it has already issued relevant
directions to all the police officers, including its Deputy
Commissioners, Assistant Commissioners, Station House Officers
and other officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"