Adarsh land belongs to Army: Gen VK Singh
Mumbai: Army Chief Gen VK Singh on Monday said the land in south Mumbai on which the scam-tainted Adarsh Cooperative Housing Society stands belonged to the Army.
He also said the judicial commission, which has drawn a contrary conclusion, was not "a court". "Commission ko koi manyata nahi hai (The commission has no standing)...That had been appointed by the state, for its own information. So, we need not take its finding seriously," he said.
"Orders to demolish the structure (building) have already been given...now the onus is on you (media) to ensure that the building is demolished," Gen Singh said during an interaction with the reporters after a book release function in Mumbai.
"The judicial commission has also said that it was not giving a judgment, it was merely a fact-finding report. Whatever documents we had given had not been considered seriously...," Singh said, in reply to a question.
The Adarsh controversy had erupted with newspaper reports which alleged that the land belonging to the Defence Ministry had been given away by the state for the Society where top bureaucrats and politicians had got themselves flats.
But on April 18, the two-member judicial commission appointed by the state government to probe the Adarsh scam said in an interim report that the land belonged to Maharashtra government and was not reserved for Kargil war martyrs` kin, as claimed by Army officials.
The commission, headed by former High Court Judge JA Patil, said MoD had failed to prove its ownership.
Former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan is one of the 14 accused in the case, being probed by the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter