Advani meets RSS chief in Nagpur
New Delhi: Ahead of his proposed yatra against corruption, senior BJP leader LK Advani on Wednesday arrived in Nagpur to meet RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat ostensibly to seek his support and allay apprehensions about his future plans.
As per reports, the meeting between the veteran BJP leader and the RSS chief has begun during which the former’s proposed October 11 yatra will be discussed thoroughly.
The main focus of the meeting is to build a consensus in the larger Sangh Pariwar that Advani`s yatra calls for good governance, clean politics and crusade against corruption.
"I am here to meet RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat and other functionaries to discuss my proposed rathyatra against corruption," Advani told reporters shortly after he arrived at the Nagpur airport.
"Since Bhagwat and other leaders are not scheduled to visit Delhi in the immediate future, I decided to meet them in Nagpur," he said.
The 83-year old senior leader`s decision to hold a meeting with Bhagwat has come in the wake of reports that RSS is not happy with his yatra as it has re-started the succession debate in the party and brought Advani back to the centrestage. RSS wants to project a younger leader and had earlier asked Advani to make way for gen next.
Sources said Advani may make a statement before the yatra to clear the air on the issue. He may clarify that his yatra is not aimed at making him BJP`s next Prime Ministerial candidate and that he is not in the race.
Once this is done, RSS will extend its full support to the yatra and ask the BJP cadre to join it enthusiastically to take on the Congress-led UPA government on the issue of corruption, according to sources.
In case an announcement is made by Advani, it may also bring out gen next BJP leaders to support the senior leader with more vigour.
Advani appeared to tilt in favour of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as BJP`s next Prime Ministerial candidate when he praised him on his blog during the Sadbhavana fast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal