`Advani opposed action against Modi on riots`
New Delhi: Firing a fresh salvo at LK
Advani, expelled BJP leader Jaswant Singh has claimed that the
former home minister stopped Atal Bihari Vajpayee from taking
action against Narendra Modi over the 2002 riots on the ground
that it could trigger uproar in the party.
Singh said he alongwith Vajpayee, Advani and Arun
Shourie were flying to Goa for a BJP meeting when the
conversation relating to the Gujarat Chief Minister cropped
"He (Vajpayee) asked, Gujarat ka kya karna hai (what
should be done about Gujarat ?...there was silence for
sometime. He then said Gujarat ke bare mein sochna chahiye.
Then Advaniji went towards the bathroom...Atalji said
poochhiye fir kya karna hai (ask him then what should be done)?
"I went and asked Advaniji. Advaniji just said one
phrase - bawaal khada ho jayega party mein (there will be uproar
in the party," Singh said.
Singh, who held the key portfolios of Finance and
External Affairs in the Vajpayee government, recalled a day when
he was called from the House by Pramod Mahajan to the PM`s
office in Parliament.
"Come quickly Jaswantji", he told me. "I didn`t know
what had happened... When I went, I was told "sambhaliye,
sambhaliye (control the situation). Istifa de rahein hain (he
is giving his resignation).
Prime Minister Vajpayee was "disturbed" and wrote down
his resignation letter in his Parliamentary office.
"Parliament was in session," Singh said in an interview to a news channel.
Vajpayee called his Secretary. "I told his Secretary to
go away and not come back. He (Vajpayee) sternly asked me
kya kar rahe ho (what are you doing)".
"He (Vajpayee) pulled a piece of paper and he started
writing his resignation by hand. I held his hand and he looked
at me severely and I said what are you doing. Don`t do this.
He said leave it and somehow I persuaded him. We went to his
house. We were able to defuse the situation," Singh said.
Asked whether Vajpayee was inclined to act against
Modi, Singh said, "factually to the best of my recollection,
yes, this was the conversation.
Pressed further on whether Vajpayee was inclined to
sack Modi, Singh said, "I would not use the word `sack`. But
certainly he wanted the party to reflect and take some corrective
Singh had sought to embarrass Advani yesterday by
saying that the then Home Minister was well aware of his
accompanying three terrorists to resolve the Kandahar hijack
Advani had then claimed that he was against the
decision to free terrorists in return of the passengers of the
hijacked flight IC-814 in 1999 and went on say that he had
nothing to do with the decision to send Singh with the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks