After Narendra Modi, SRCC invites Manmohan Singh
New Delhi: The Sri Ram College of Commerce, which hosted Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi at its campus recently, has now invited Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to the institution.
Principal PC Jain said that they have approached the Prime Minister for attending the college`s annual day celebrations.
"We are waiting for his response," Jain told a news agency. He also said the Prime Minister is busy with the Budget Session and they expect him to give them a date during the recess of Budget Session.
He also defended the invitation extended to Modi, which had evoked criticism, saying, "We haven`t done anything wrong. In democracy we have the right to listen all kinds of people and the college has done nothing wrong.”
"Media created so much hype on this issue but for us it was like any other event. We think college is bigger than anybody in the world," he said.
"To invite Modi is totally the choice of the students. To meet the expectations of students is our duty so no body from the college complained to me about Modi`s visit.”
"The college has invited many dignitaries like APJ Abdul Kalam, P Chidambaram, Pranab Mukherjee, E Shreedharn and many more in the past. This time our economist PM is expected to speak on economy and growth," Jain added.
On February 06, Modi addressed the students saying his mantra was development politics and not of vote-bank.
As protesters opposed to his visit clashed with police outside the college, he sought to commend the Gujarat model of governance to the rest of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand