AI crew member held in London for smuggling cigarettes!
Mumbai: An Air India cabin crew was detained by the London police for allegedly smuggling 50 cigarette crates.
Though some members of the crew were released later Bhavik Shah, who admitted to his crime, was detained for eight hours.
Later, Air India bailed him out by paying 5,000 pounds.
Confirming the incident, a senior Air India official said the cabin crew member has been suspended.
"We suspended crew member Bhavik Shah for the alleged incident on the same day when it was reported," an AI official told PTI.
According to airline sources, the incident took place last Friday after AI`s Mumbai-London flight landed at the Heathrow airport.
While the crew members were on way to the hotel, the police carried out a search of their baggage.
During the search, there was no claimant for a bag which contained the 50 cigarette crates, following which the police detained the entire crew.
After a four-hour-long questioning, it was confirmed that the bag containing the cigarettes belonged to Shah, sources said.
Following this, Shah was detained for further questioning, and he admitted to carrying the contraband.
He was released on bail after AI paid up for the bond.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees