AI crew member held in London for smuggling cigarettes!
Mumbai: An Air India cabin crew was detained by the London police for allegedly smuggling 50 cigarette crates.
Though some members of the crew were released later Bhavik Shah, who admitted to his crime, was detained for eight hours.
Later, Air India bailed him out by paying 5,000 pounds.
Confirming the incident, a senior Air India official said the cabin crew member has been suspended.
"We suspended crew member Bhavik Shah for the alleged incident on the same day when it was reported," an AI official told PTI.
According to airline sources, the incident took place last Friday after AI`s Mumbai-London flight landed at the Heathrow airport.
While the crew members were on way to the hotel, the police carried out a search of their baggage.
During the search, there was no claimant for a bag which contained the 50 cigarette crates, following which the police detained the entire crew.
After a four-hour-long questioning, it was confirmed that the bag containing the cigarettes belonged to Shah, sources said.
Following this, Shah was detained for further questioning, and he admitted to carrying the contraband.
He was released on bail after AI paid up for the bond.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out