AI crew member held in London for smuggling cigarettes!
Mumbai: An Air India cabin crew was detained by the London police for allegedly smuggling 50 cigarette crates.
Though some members of the crew were released later Bhavik Shah, who admitted to his crime, was detained for eight hours.
Later, Air India bailed him out by paying 5,000 pounds.
Confirming the incident, a senior Air India official said the cabin crew member has been suspended.
"We suspended crew member Bhavik Shah for the alleged incident on the same day when it was reported," an AI official told PTI.
According to airline sources, the incident took place last Friday after AI`s Mumbai-London flight landed at the Heathrow airport.
While the crew members were on way to the hotel, the police carried out a search of their baggage.
During the search, there was no claimant for a bag which contained the 50 cigarette crates, following which the police detained the entire crew.
After a four-hour-long questioning, it was confirmed that the bag containing the cigarettes belonged to Shah, sources said.
Following this, Shah was detained for further questioning, and he admitted to carrying the contraband.
He was released on bail after AI paid up for the bond.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack