AI crew member held in London for smuggling cigarettes!
Mumbai: An Air India cabin crew was detained by the London police for allegedly smuggling 50 cigarette crates.
Though some members of the crew were released later Bhavik Shah, who admitted to his crime, was detained for eight hours.
Later, Air India bailed him out by paying 5,000 pounds.
Confirming the incident, a senior Air India official said the cabin crew member has been suspended.
"We suspended crew member Bhavik Shah for the alleged incident on the same day when it was reported," an AI official told PTI.
According to airline sources, the incident took place last Friday after AI`s Mumbai-London flight landed at the Heathrow airport.
While the crew members were on way to the hotel, the police carried out a search of their baggage.
During the search, there was no claimant for a bag which contained the 50 cigarette crates, following which the police detained the entire crew.
After a four-hour-long questioning, it was confirmed that the bag containing the cigarettes belonged to Shah, sources said.
Following this, Shah was detained for further questioning, and he admitted to carrying the contraband.
He was released on bail after AI paid up for the bond.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH