Air Marshal Kumaria is new IAF Vice Chief
New Delhi: Air Marshal DC "Tiny" Kumaria, a veteran fighter pilot, will Friday take over as the Indian Air Force (IAF) Vice Chief.
Kumaria currently heads the New Delhi-based Western Air Command, the IAF`s most vital operational command and swordarm.
Schooled at the Dehradun-based Rashtriya Indian Military College (RIMC), Kumaria graduated from the Khadakwasla-based National Defence Academy (NDA) and was commissioned into the fighter stream of the IAF on Jun 2, 1973.
Early in his career, he flew all variants of the Soviet-origin MiG-21 aircraft and was among the first batch of fighter pilots chosen to convert on the Jaguar aircraft when it was acquired from Britain.
He also underwent a Qualified Weapons Instructor course in Britain, as well as the Instrument Rating Instructor and Examiner and Fighter Combat Leader courses, with a tenure as directing staff at the Gwalior-based Tactics and Combat Development Establishment (TACDE) - India`s Top Gun fighter training school.
A graduate of the Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) at Wellington, he was also principal director of concept studies at IAF headquarters, where he had been especially selected to write the air power doctrine of the IAF.
He was the first assistant chief of the air staff (Operations-Space) at IAF headquarters and on elevation to the rank of Air Marshal, was appointed as the first director general (Air Operations) at IAF headquarters.
His foreign assignments include serving as the assistant defence advisor (Air) at the Indian High Commission in Dhaka and as the defence attache at the Indian embassy in Rome with concurrent accreditation to the Iberian countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested