Air Marshal Kumaria is new IAF Vice Chief
New Delhi: Air Marshal DC "Tiny" Kumaria, a veteran fighter pilot, will Friday take over as the Indian Air Force (IAF) Vice Chief.
Kumaria currently heads the New Delhi-based Western Air Command, the IAF`s most vital operational command and swordarm.
Schooled at the Dehradun-based Rashtriya Indian Military College (RIMC), Kumaria graduated from the Khadakwasla-based National Defence Academy (NDA) and was commissioned into the fighter stream of the IAF on Jun 2, 1973.
Early in his career, he flew all variants of the Soviet-origin MiG-21 aircraft and was among the first batch of fighter pilots chosen to convert on the Jaguar aircraft when it was acquired from Britain.
He also underwent a Qualified Weapons Instructor course in Britain, as well as the Instrument Rating Instructor and Examiner and Fighter Combat Leader courses, with a tenure as directing staff at the Gwalior-based Tactics and Combat Development Establishment (TACDE) - India`s Top Gun fighter training school.
A graduate of the Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) at Wellington, he was also principal director of concept studies at IAF headquarters, where he had been especially selected to write the air power doctrine of the IAF.
He was the first assistant chief of the air staff (Operations-Space) at IAF headquarters and on elevation to the rank of Air Marshal, was appointed as the first director general (Air Operations) at IAF headquarters.
His foreign assignments include serving as the assistant defence advisor (Air) at the Indian High Commission in Dhaka and as the defence attache at the Indian embassy in Rome with concurrent accreditation to the Iberian countries.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living