Akhilesh Yadav opposes NCTC in present form
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday opposed the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) "in its present form" and asked the government to take a fresh look at it.
Akhilesh Yadav could not attend the meeting of chief ministers in New Delhi. His ministerial colleague Balram Yadav read out his speech.
Akhilesh Yadav said the NCTC proposal needed a threadbare analysis, specially in areas such as its powers, structure and functioning.
He expressed solidarity with chief ministers who are apprehensive of NCTC and fear the proposed centre could encroach upon the rights and jurisdiction of states.
He stressed that law and order was essentially a state subject and it required local intelligence, human sensitivities and local elements, and nothing should be done to disturb these.
He said that while terrorism was an issue of national concern, the law and order angle could not be brushed aside.
While anti-terror activities were carried out, he said, it was necessary that the state machinery was kept in loop and had "operational inputs" about any such operation.
Calling for an integrated command against subversive elements, he reud that in its present form, no such issues were either included or addressed by the NCTC.
Seeking a rethink, he said it was unacceptable that under the NCTC both NSG and special forces of the central government had the freedom to operate anywhere without seeking the "participation" of state security agencies.
"Misuse of such clauses cannot be ruled out," he said.
He also said that all major states had developed capabilities through agencies such as ATS (Anti-Terrorism Squad) to fight terrorism and that a good amount of coordination existed between central and state agencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened