Akhilesh Yadav opposes NCTC in present form
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday opposed the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) "in its present form" and asked the government to take a fresh look at it.
Akhilesh Yadav could not attend the meeting of chief ministers in New Delhi. His ministerial colleague Balram Yadav read out his speech.
Akhilesh Yadav said the NCTC proposal needed a threadbare analysis, specially in areas such as its powers, structure and functioning.
He expressed solidarity with chief ministers who are apprehensive of NCTC and fear the proposed centre could encroach upon the rights and jurisdiction of states.
He stressed that law and order was essentially a state subject and it required local intelligence, human sensitivities and local elements, and nothing should be done to disturb these.
He said that while terrorism was an issue of national concern, the law and order angle could not be brushed aside.
While anti-terror activities were carried out, he said, it was necessary that the state machinery was kept in loop and had "operational inputs" about any such operation.
Calling for an integrated command against subversive elements, he reud that in its present form, no such issues were either included or addressed by the NCTC.
Seeking a rethink, he said it was unacceptable that under the NCTC both NSG and special forces of the central government had the freedom to operate anywhere without seeking the "participation" of state security agencies.
"Misuse of such clauses cannot be ruled out," he said.
He also said that all major states had developed capabilities through agencies such as ATS (Anti-Terrorism Squad) to fight terrorism and that a good amount of coordination existed between central and state agencies.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference