Allahabad HC issues notice to PM Modi on Ajay Rai`s petition against Varanasi victory
Zee Media Bureau
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Friday issued a notice to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on a petition filed by Congress`s Ajay Rai challenging Modi`s election from Varanasi.
Ajay Rai, who contested as Congress` candidate from the constituency in the Lok Sabha polls, has alleged that in his affidavit Modi had left blank columns relating to his wife Yashoda Ben`s PAN card details and her income which violated Supreme Court`s directions.
Rai has also alleged that though the Election Commission had laid down that a candidate in a Lok Sabha poll must not spend more than Rs 70 lakh during electioneering, crores were spent during Modi`s campaign.
He claimed that a large number of BJP leaders had prolonged stays at luxury hotels of Varanasi to oversee the election arrangements there.
He also alleged that T-shirts and caps bearing Modi`s name and image were distributed among the people on a large scale which was in violation of the Model Code of Conduct.
Significantly, Rai, who is a sitting MLA from Pindra assembly segment of Varanasi district, had finished third in the Lok Sabha election wherein he also ended up losing his deposit.
Modi, contesting his first election outside Gujarat, registered a stunning victory by defeating his nearest rival Arvind Kejriwal of the Aam Aadmi Party by a massive margin of nearly 3.71 lakh votes.
After becoming Prime Minister, Modi resigned the Vadodara seat from where he had won by a record margin of 5.70 lakh votes and retained Varanasi.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons