Allahabad HC issues notice to PM Modi on Ajay Rai`s petition against Varanasi victory
Zee Media Bureau
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Friday issued a notice to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on a petition filed by Congress`s Ajay Rai challenging Modi`s election from Varanasi.
Ajay Rai, who contested as Congress` candidate from the constituency in the Lok Sabha polls, has alleged that in his affidavit Modi had left blank columns relating to his wife Yashoda Ben`s PAN card details and her income which violated Supreme Court`s directions.
Rai has also alleged that though the Election Commission had laid down that a candidate in a Lok Sabha poll must not spend more than Rs 70 lakh during electioneering, crores were spent during Modi`s campaign.
He claimed that a large number of BJP leaders had prolonged stays at luxury hotels of Varanasi to oversee the election arrangements there.
He also alleged that T-shirts and caps bearing Modi`s name and image were distributed among the people on a large scale which was in violation of the Model Code of Conduct.
Significantly, Rai, who is a sitting MLA from Pindra assembly segment of Varanasi district, had finished third in the Lok Sabha election wherein he also ended up losing his deposit.
Modi, contesting his first election outside Gujarat, registered a stunning victory by defeating his nearest rival Arvind Kejriwal of the Aam Aadmi Party by a massive margin of nearly 3.71 lakh votes.
After becoming Prime Minister, Modi resigned the Vadodara seat from where he had won by a record margin of 5.70 lakh votes and retained Varanasi.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof