Alleged sexual harassment of lady judge figures in RS
New Delhi: The issue of alleged sexual harassment of a lady judge in Gwalior was raised in the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday with senior lawyer and nominated member KTS Tulsi demanding immediate action on her complaint saying it would otherwise demoralise lady judges in the country.
Complaining of sexual harassment by a judge of Madhya Pradesh High Court, the additional judge had resigned on July 15 and wrote to the Chief Justice of India and others on August 1 in this regard.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Tulsi said there has been an "inordinate delay" in examining the allegations of the lady judge.
Noting that the lady judge had an excellent performance record, he said repeated demands were made to her by a High Court judge to come to his residence and "dance to an item song".
He said that according to reports, the lady judge complained about the misconduct on July 22 and "on July 8, she was transferred" as "punishment".
"On July 15, she resigned out of disgust" in spite of a brilliant career ahead her, Tulsi said.
Insisting that no judge in the country has any Constitutional immunity against crime and this episode has "nothing to do with the official duty of a judge", the member regretted that no action has been taken in the matter so far.
He said delay in holding inquiry into such matters will only demoralise other lady judges and urged the House to ask the Chief Justice of India to act expeditiously in the matter.
A number of members associated with Tusli`s demand.
Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien, however, said it is a matter, which is "to be considered by the Chief Justice of India and not us".
The issue was earlier raised in Lok Sabha. Government has already said that the matter should be expeditiously probed and if charges were found true, action should follow to restore public confidence in the institution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir