Allies slam UPA govt for fuel price hike
New Delhi: Centre’s decision to hike fuel prices has angered the UPA coalition partners including DMK led by Karunanidhi and Mamata Banerjee’s TMC.
As per reports, the DMK leaders have decided to skip today’s meeting of Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) on LPG and the main opposition party BJP has demanded an immediate roll back.
Reacting to the fuel price hike, Mamata’s Trinamool Congress said it will attend the EGoM meet but it will continue to oppose the government’s decision as it is anti people.
Clearly, the UPA government is likely to face public anger for its decision to raise the LPG prices and pay a heavy political price by infuriating key coalition partners.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is currently under scanner as TMC and DMK have blamed the government for being insensitive.
"TMC was not kept in loop before this price hike. the prices have been hiked within a short span of time and it is a burden on the common people. We have registered our complaint to the finance minister," TMC leader Mukul Roy was quoted as saying.
The government`s defence of fuel prices being high globally has no takers. In the Monsoon Session of Parliament, the Opposition had put the government on the mat for failing to curb inflation.
The hike in fuel prices has given a golden opportunity to the main opposition BJP to attack the UPA government and increase pressure for an immediate roll back.
In his reaction to the fuel price hike, senior leader and BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said, “My party condemns rise of petrol prices. We will pressurize the government to roll back the hiked petrol prices."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city