Allies slam UPA govt for fuel price hike
New Delhi: Centre’s decision to hike fuel prices has angered the UPA coalition partners including DMK led by Karunanidhi and Mamata Banerjee’s TMC.
As per reports, the DMK leaders have decided to skip today’s meeting of Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) on LPG and the main opposition party BJP has demanded an immediate roll back.
Reacting to the fuel price hike, Mamata’s Trinamool Congress said it will attend the EGoM meet but it will continue to oppose the government’s decision as it is anti people.
Clearly, the UPA government is likely to face public anger for its decision to raise the LPG prices and pay a heavy political price by infuriating key coalition partners.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is currently under scanner as TMC and DMK have blamed the government for being insensitive.
"TMC was not kept in loop before this price hike. the prices have been hiked within a short span of time and it is a burden on the common people. We have registered our complaint to the finance minister," TMC leader Mukul Roy was quoted as saying.
The government`s defence of fuel prices being high globally has no takers. In the Monsoon Session of Parliament, the Opposition had put the government on the mat for failing to curb inflation.
The hike in fuel prices has given a golden opportunity to the main opposition BJP to attack the UPA government and increase pressure for an immediate roll back.
In his reaction to the fuel price hike, senior leader and BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said, “My party condemns rise of petrol prices. We will pressurize the government to roll back the hiked petrol prices."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Britain wins Brexit breathing space at gloomy EU summit
- Turkish PM says first signs in Istanbul attack point to IS
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016