Anna associates meet Bukhari
New Delhi: Anna Hazare`s associates Arvind
Kejriwal and Kiran Bedi met Jama Masjid imam Syed Ahmed
Bukhari here after he expressed unhappiness over their failure
to involve Muslims into their campaign, but failed to break
ice with the cleric.
Bukhari had expressed strong resentment and sought to
know why Hazare and his campaign managers had not done more to
involve Muslims in their anti-graft movement.
Following his remarks, Team Anna members met him at his
residence late last night in their attempt to clear his
apprehensions and invite the Delhi`s top cleric to the Ramlila
Maidan where Hazare is fasting.
Bukhari said he had told the activists that they also
need to address the issues of concern to the Muslim community.
"We discussed at length the issues of our concern. I laid
before them my point of view in totality. They in turn
informed us about their campaign and their goals," Bukhari
He said Hazare`s team members had also asked him to share
the stage with them and Hazare at Ramlila Maidan but he was
not inclined to go ahead.
"I told them that if you want to include Muslims in your
movement, you will also have to understand their pain and
problems, and you would do well to also highlight issues of
concern to Muslims," he said, adding the greater evil in the
country is communalism and any national movement should also
"They said they would consider the points raised by me,"
Bukhari said the "communal powers" were also playing a
part in the campaign and they would never want Muslims to be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees