Anna begins `Janatantra Yatra` from Amritsar
Rayya: Launching his `Janatantra Yatra` from Punjab, social activist Anna Hazare on Sunday described it as the beginning of the second freedom struggle to rid the nation of the corrupt politicians.
"Now for me `Janatantra Yatra` is the second freedom struggle to free the nation from corruption and corrupt politicians," he said, and lashed out at politicians alleging many of them were "Gundas" facing criminal charges.
The social activist categorically made it clear that he and his activists have no future plans to contest Lok Sabha elections or to collect funds.
The only motive of `Janatantra Yatra` was to bring honest candidates for the upcoming Parliament elections so that candidates having criminal and corrupt background could be kept away from the election fray, Hazare said while addressing a rally in Rayya town here, nearly 40 km away from Amritsar.
Earlier, accompanied by a small group of supporters, the 75-year-old activist paid obeisance at Durgiana Mandir, Golden Temple and Jallianwala Bagh before starting the Yatra.
Addressing a group of people outside the Jallianwala Bagh, Hazare, who was flanked by former Army Chief VK Singh, said only a mass movement will bring change in the country.
Hazare said after five months a big Jan-Sansad (public rally) will be organised at Ramlila Ground in the national capital "which will seal the fate of this corrupt government".
The public rallies are being held to press 25-point agenda under the banner of `Janatantra Yatra` to garner people`s support against the Congress-led UPA government ahead of next year`s Lok Sabha polls and make "people aware of its efforts to ditch the Jan Lokpal bill," he said.
Hazare had floated `Janatantra Morcha` after the protests on Lokpal Bill fizzled out and Team Anna split, with a faction led by Arvind Kejriwal forming a political party.
Hazare told about his past life and said Punjab will
always remain a source of inspiration for him.
Hazare said, here in Punjab, during the India-Pakistan war in 1965, he got a `second life` as he had a narrow escape during the gun battle.
During the war he was at Khemkaran border where Indian Army achieved victory in fierce tank battle, he said.
Hazare said that during the war his colleagues were killed and he was wounded "seriously" in air strike.
"After surviving, I decided to put the rest of the life for wellbeing of the nation and not to marry," Hazare said while addressing the rally.
Hazare said that the motive of the yatra was to infuse new spirit among the youth who could raise their voice against the "malpractice on the part of UPA Government".
The social activist said that he never intended to harm anybody personally and has no concern with any political party.
Earlier, in Golden Temple, Hazare said that after visiting the holy temple he felt a unique inspiration to continue his `Janatantra Yatra` with brave heart.
Talking about the 1984 Blue Star Operation, Hazare said, "it was done by the then Government due to ignorance".
He said that Golden Temple was a pious place where people get inspiration to fight against the evils and Guru Granth Sahib never taught violence.
"Golden Temple is the house of the God and the then Government of India took decision under the influence of ignorance," he said.
Meanwhile, former Army chief VK Singh, while addressing the rally, said during his tenure in the Indian Army he dealt with Punjabi people and experienced that they have great energy and can do the most difficult task in difficult circumstances.
Singh sought support from ex-armymen and people from each section of the society to bring changes for the betterment of nation.
Later, Hazare and Singh also visited Dera Baba Jaimal Singh to meet Radha Soami Sect chief Gurinder Singh Dhillon at Beas headquarters, about 45 km away from Amritsar.
Both the leaders spent about one hour with the sect chief.
Hazare also talked about his `Janatantra Yatra` with sect chief in brief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India