Anna Hazare apologises for attack on media
New Delhi: A day after several media persons were heckled by supporters of Team Anna at Jantar Mantar, Anna Hazare on Tuesday regretted the misbehaviour and said sorry for the incident.
“I would like to say sorry (to the media persons)” on behalf of those who were involved in the scuffle, Hazare said from stage at the fast venue.
Hazare said he was saddened by what had happened last night and told his supporters, “There should be no violence, not even in words.”
“If you indulge in violence, the government will scuttle this protest in a matter of two days,” he warned his supporters, advising them to protest peacefully.
He even said that he would call off the movement if such incidents recur.
The anti-corruption activist further said that “we have to strengthen democracy together with the media”.
Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal also described the attack on media persons as wrong, saying reporters have become part of their agitation.
The media is not to be blamed, he added.
The apology came after the Broadcast Editors` Association (BEA) condemned the misbehaviour with media persons at Jantar Mantar.
The BEA had demanded an immediate apology from Team Anna.
"The Broadcast Editors` Association strongly condemns attack on media by Anna supporters. The BEA believes that this is an interference in the functioning of media. The media is discharging its legitimate duty of covering the agitation in a fair manner. The BEA seeks an immediate apology from Team Anna for the misbehaviour by its supporters," the BEA had said in a press release.
The scuffle took place at around 10 pm last night, after a Team Anna member claimed on stage that the media was not fairly covering the movement.
Team Anna member Kumar Vishwas had also condemned the incident saying the scuffle was unwarranted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India