Anna insulted national flag, petitioner tells SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will Friday hear a petition seeking direction to the central government to take action against Anna Hazare and his aides Kiran Bedi and Arvind Kejriwal for showing disrespect to the national flag during their Lokpal agitation in Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai.
Chennai-based petitioner LK Venkat alleged that Hazare and his associates had flown the flag at half mast in public, put it on the ground and defaced it.
The petition said that his representation to the government to initiate action against Hazare and his team members was ignored.
He said that acts of Hazare and his associates constituted an offence that was punishable under the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971.
Hazare and his associates had shown disrespect to the national flag "knowingly, intentionally and deliberately". Their actions were punishable with imprisonment of three years, the petition said.
Venkat said that he had sent to the government the video of actions of Hazare and his aides along with his application seeking action against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you