Ansari may write to MPs of UPA and supporting parties
New Delhi: Hamid Ansari could write to MPs of the UPA and supporting parties seeking their support for his candidature for the Vice Presidential elections scheduled for August 7.
The ruling alliance is confident of a comfortable win with 500 plus votes in the electoral college of around 790.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi is going to host a lunch for its members as also those from suporting parties ahead of the elections. Non-UPA MPs from SP, BSP, RJD and JD(S) are also being invited to the lunch.
The elections will witness a straight contest between Ansari and NDA candidate Jaswant Singh.
Replying to a question, Bansal said the issue of Deputy Chaiman of the Rajya Sabha will be decided by holding talks with the allies after the Vice Presidential elections.
There have been no indications so far whether Congress has held talks with AIADMK and BJD whose candidate was supported by BJP in Presidential elections.
Jaswant Singh is likely to meet Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on August 6 seeking her support for his election bid.
Though the numbers are stacked highly against Singh, BJP is making all efforts to put up a respectable contest. Other than NDA partners, BJP is trying to reach out to non-Congress parties, nominated and Independent MPs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’