Ansari refers Jairam`s letter to Ethics Committee
New Delhi: Acting on Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh`s complaint about MPs lobbying for projects in which they have vested interests, Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari on Thursday referred the issue to the Ethics Committee.
Ramesh had yesterday written to the Presiding Officers of both Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha in this regard.
Ramesh had complained to them about alleged violation of norms by MPs approaching him with matters of companies they are running or associated with and raising issues related to projects that do not fall in their constituencies.
He also urged them to dissuade MPs from meeting officials directly, saying such meetings were often used to put pressure on the ministry.
"This is a blatant violation of norms. I have tried to discourage this but have not entirely succeeded," he said.
Ramesh also said he also found objectionable MPs approaching him and pleading for or against projects that are neither in their state nor in their constituency.
"I find this also objectionable, especially when the same letter is signed by MPs from different states," he said.
The Minister said he also received requests regarding projects that are either in their state or constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened