Ansari refers Jairam`s letter to Ethics Committee
New Delhi: Acting on Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh`s complaint about MPs lobbying for projects in which they have vested interests, Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari on Thursday referred the issue to the Ethics Committee.
Ramesh had yesterday written to the Presiding Officers of both Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha in this regard.
Ramesh had complained to them about alleged violation of norms by MPs approaching him with matters of companies they are running or associated with and raising issues related to projects that do not fall in their constituencies.
He also urged them to dissuade MPs from meeting officials directly, saying such meetings were often used to put pressure on the ministry.
"This is a blatant violation of norms. I have tried to discourage this but have not entirely succeeded," he said.
Ramesh also said he also found objectionable MPs approaching him and pleading for or against projects that are neither in their state nor in their constituency.
"I find this also objectionable, especially when the same letter is signed by MPs from different states," he said.
The Minister said he also received requests regarding projects that are either in their state or constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!