Ansari to represent India at African Union Summit
New Delhi: Vice President Hamid Ansari will address the golden jubilee Summit of the African Union in Addis Ababa on Saturday, joining around ten select non-African partners of the 54-member grouping invited for the historic event.
Ansari, who will be leaving for the Ethiopian capital tonight, is expected to focus on south-south cooperation and the road ahead especially in the fields of peace-keeping and security, cooperation in agriculture, information technology, HRD, education, trade and investment.
"Given India`s close, strong, historic and present partnership with Africa, it is absolutely appropriate that India is presented at such a high level in the Summit. We are one of the very few select partners who have been invited by the African Union (AU)," Ravi Bangar, Joint Secretary (East and Southern) Africa in the External Affairs Ministry, said.
Besides India, the other select partners invited for the Summit of the top African leadership include the US, the European Union, France, Brazil, Russia, China, Jamaica, Palestine and the UAE.
Foreign dignitaries expected to attend the gathering include US Secretary of State John Kerry and Chinese President Xi Jingping`s special representative, Vice Premier Wang Yang.
On bilateral interactions of Ansari with leaders on the sidelines of the Summit, an MEA official said those were being worked out.
The significance of the 50th anniversary celebrations of the AU, and its earlier avatar of Organisation of African Unity, lies in two milestone achievements it has to its credit – the end of colonialism in the continent and that of the apartheid regime in South Africa, Bangar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal