Anti-Rajapakse protests in TN
Chennai: MDMK founder Vaiko and leaders of CPI and VCK were detained Tuesday when they attempted to stage demonstrations at different places here to protest Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse`s visit to the country.
Rajapakse is scheduled to arrive in India today on a three-day visit during which he will hold talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna
Viduthalai Siruthaigal Katchi leader Thol Thirumavalavan, CPI State Secretary D Pandian, Tamil Nationals Movement leader P Nedumaran and actors Seeman and T Rajender were among those detained.
Cadres of Sri Lankan Tamils Movement, formed by several pro-Tamil parties, including MDMK, known for its pro-LTTE stand, and CPI were held when they tried to stage black flag protests near Nageswara Rao Park and proceed towards the Sri Lankan Deputy High Commissioner`s office, police said.
Vaiko, who addressed the protesters, alleged that thousands of minority Tamil civilians were killed towards the end of the war between the Sri Lankan forces and the LTTE last
He also alleged that Rajapakse was responsible for killings of many innocent Tamils and demanded that he be tried in an international court of law.
More than 200 cadres belonging to VCK, headed by Thol Thirumavalvan, were detained as they tried to stage a protest near Memorial Hall.
Thirumavalavan alleged that the Sri Lankan government has not utilised the funds given by India to rehabilitate Tamils living in rehabilitation camps in that nation.
About 100 PMK cadres, headed by Velmurugan, MLA, were also detained near the Collector`s office. Eighty Nam Tamil Movement activists led by actor Seeman were picked up when they tried to burn an effigy of Rajapakse near Sastri Bhavan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert