AP Govt mulls new body to manage Tirupati temple
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh government is
contemplating appointment of a "specified authority" in place
of the Board of Trustees of the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams
(TTD) whose term comes to an end on August 24.
The move comes in the light of a series of controversies
surrounding the TTD Board and the stepped-up campaign by
opposition parties for abolition of the Board currently headed
by former MP D K Adikesavulu Naidu.
"Details relating to the constitution of a specified
authority in place of the Trust Board are being worked out. An
announcement in this regard will soon be made," Information
Minister J Geeta Reddy said.
The issue came up for discussion at the cabinet meet
chaired by Chief Minister K Rosaiah here this evening.
She said there were many "misconceptions" about the
functioning of the current TTD Board. "We discussed what we
can do and how we can improve the image of TTD that manages
the world famous temple of Lord Venkateswara."
Telugu Desam President N Chandrababu Naidu and Praja
Rajyam Party chief K Chiranjeevi had recently trekked to the
Tirumala Hills separately seeking "cleansing" of the TTD
PRP wanted a CBI probe into the TTD affairs even as the
Vigilance and Enforcement Department submitted its inquiry
report in which it has reportedly indicted three board
members in the sale of special worship tickets.
The report was understood to have come up for discussion
at the cabinet in an informal manner.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is
expected to visit Tirupati on August 31 to launch
the Unique Identification Authority of India project.
"As per the tentative programme, the Prime Minister will
visit Tirupati on the 31st to take part in a series of
programmes," state Minister for Information J Geeta Reddy told
newsmen at the end of the cabinet meeting chaired by Chief
Minister K Rosaiah here today.
The programmes include laying of foundation stone for the
NTPC-BHEL joint venture project and the Tirupati International
Airport, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections