Arms dealer Abhishek Verma linked to Congress leader?
New Delhi: Navy War Room leak case suspect and controversial alleged arms dealer Abhishek Verma has made startling revelations about his close links with a Congress leader during his interrogation by the Enforcement Directorate (ED ) officials in Tihar jail.
Reports published in a leading daily DNA claims that Verma has told the ED officials, who grilled him on July 20, that a senior Congress Working Committee member is his close business associate.
Verma was quizzed by the ED officials after a case was registered against him under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) on June 18 for allegedly receiving $5.3 lakh from a Swiss defence firm for using his influence to keep it out of the government’s blacklist.
The DNA report also claimed that some confidential documents provided by Verma`s former business partner US Attorney C Edmonds Allen have revealed that the money was paid to the arms dealer by Rheinmetall Air Defence AG through its UBS account in Switzerland.
This transaction was shown in bank statements of Verma’s Ganton Ltd and an invoice generated by the company.
Verma further informed the ED officials that money received from the Swis firm was meant for purchasing 100 acre land in Greater Noida, which belongs to the Yamuma Express Industrial Development Authority.
What has come as a shock that this land deal was brokered by a senior Congress leader.
The Congress leader in question is a former cabinet minister and also one of the arbitrators in this land dispute involving Verma’s Ganton and another company.
The alleged land dispute case is being contested in the Allahabad High Court.
If the DNA report is to be believed then a top ED official has also confirmed, on the condition of anonymity, Verma’s link with the senior Congress leader with whom he shared close business interests.
Meanwhile, sources in the CBI have also confirmed Verma’s alleged links with the same Congress leader whose name he revealed during his questioning.
In light of the recent developments, a communication has also been sent to the Congress leader, whose identity has not been revealed, to respond to Verma’s allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues