Army demands probe against ex-Gen VK Singh, Opposition calls political vendetta
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a move which the Opposition calls political vendetta, the Indian Army has recommended a high level probe against former Army chief General VK Singh.
Reports on Friday said the Army has requested the Defence Ministry to order a high-level probe into the functioning of a top secret intelligence unit set up by Gen VK Singh, suspecting it of carrying out "unauthorised operations" and financial wrongdoings.
The Army report about the Technical Support Division (TSD), which was accused of illegally tapping phones of senior Defence Ministry officials, has been submitted to the Defence Ministry and it has recommended a probe into the functioning of the unit.
However, the Army does not want to carry out inquiry against the unit on its own as it does not want to be seen as taking action against its former chief.
The report was prepared by Director General Military Operations Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia as part of a Board of Officers (BOO) formed by Gen Bikram Singh to review the functioning of the top secret unit set up under his predecessor.
A leading daily has also claimed that Singh set up the special unit, which tried to topple the Jammu and Kashmir government.
The TSD also tried to block General Bikram Singh`s promotion, it alleged.
Reacting to the reports, Gen VK Singh said, "This is simple vendetta as some people are not comfortable with me sharing the dais with Narendra Modi to espouse the cause of ex-servicemen in the country."
He said if anyone has recommended a probe into the functioning of the unit, then that person is "talking through his hat" as its operations were meant to be secret.
It is learnt that the report submitted by the Bhatia-led committee has stated that TSD was allegedly involved in "unauthorised operations" which may have taken place even across the border without the proper clearance from the higher-ups in the Government.
Though Army has refused to comment on the issue, its recommendation of probe against Singh has evoked sharp reactions from the Opposition.
Senior BJP leader Balbir Punj and former IPS officer Kiran Bedi have questioned the timing of the recommendation of probe against Gen Singh.
"When VK Singh was at the helm, speaking up for integrity, he was a hero! Now that he has spoken as an insider, efforts will be to shoot him down," Bedi tweeted this morning.
Speaking to a news channel, Punj said, "The timing of this report is questionable. Gen Singh has been a whistleblower against corrupt practices. He is being punished for speaking against the Centre and for his links with Modi."
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?