Army, IGNOU ink MoU to grant degrees to soldiers
New Delhi: Indian Army and IGNOU today
signed an MoU to grant degrees to soldiers, with the aim of
providing a second career option to them.
"We have signed the MoU by which we will ensure that
all army men who retire from now onwards have graduation
degrees, which will enable them to go for a second career and
also enhance the amount of workforce in the country," Army
Chief General Deepak Kapoor told reporters after the signing
of the MoU.
The project named `Gyandeep`, will help to confer a
graduation degree to soldiers who join the force just after
school. Based on US` community college system, the project is
expected to benefit the 1.2 million soldiers in the Army.
The MoU was signed by Army`s Adjutant General Lt Gen
Mukesh Sabharwal and IGNOU Vice Chancellor Professor V N
Rajasekharan Pillai in the presence of the Army Chief at South
Under the project, soldiers would be provided with
bachelors degrees in arts, commerce, management and various
other disciplines, which will be market driven and help them
to secure jobs for the jawans.
Under the new arrangement, IGNOU will register Army`s
regimental training centres and schools as `community
colleges`. The Army-IGNOU Community Colleges will continue
functioning as autonomous bodies conducting examinations and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi