Armyman protesting atop tower brought down
New Delhi: Ninety-four hours after he climbed a 200-feet high mobile tower alleging harassment by seniors, an Armyman was on Tuesday brought down by rescue workers as his health condition worsened.
K Muthu, who is attached with Engineers Regiment, climbed the tower at Ajmeri Gate at around 1:00 pm last Friday and was brought down at 10:30 am after his health deteriorated.
He was very weak as he was not taking food for the past four days. Muthu has been admitted to Base hospital at Delhi Cantonment.
A senior Army official said Muthu is undergoing treatment and his condition is stable.
"It was raining heavily and he was very weak. He was not eating. We told him that we are bringing him down. He could not use the ladder as he was very weak. We used a harness to bring him down," the official said.
The official said only after Muthu regains physical fitness, departmental action would be initiated. Already a fact finding committee has been set up to discuss his allegations, he said.
Muthu was adamant on not coming down in the past five days till he gets a chance to speak to Defence Minister A K Antony.
The 35-year-old sepoy, hailing from Tuticorin district of Tamil Nadu, alleged that he was transferred five times in five years. Colleagues from his unit were taking turns to be with him atop the tower and trying to convince him but in vain.
On Friday, he had thrown a bunch of papers and in one of the letters, he demanded his discharge from service due to alleged harassment by seniors.
He had also requested the commanding officer in the letter to get his salary of the last eight months cleared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'