Arunachal Pradesh is integral part of India: Tharoor
New Delhi: On the eve of boundary talks,
Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor today
said China has no "locus standi" on a key irrigation project
in Arunachal Pradesh which it is opposing as the state is
integral part of India.
"As far as India in concerned, we don`t believe that
China has any locus standi in this matter (irrigation
project)," Tharoor told reporters while responding to queries
on Beijing`s opposition to the project.
China had tried to block an ADB loan for the project,
claiming that the state was disputed.
The Minister said that Arunachal Pradesh was an integral
part of India and the country was committed to the welfare and
development of the State.
"Arunachal Pradesh will not be neglected by this
government," Tharoor said.
Talks on boundary issue tomorrow
The comments assumes significance as these came on the
eve of talks between Special Representatives -- National
Security Advisor M K Narayanan and Chinese State Councilor Dai
Bingguo -- here to discuss the boundary issue.
Ahead of the meeting, sources here said the two sides
were making efforts to expeditiously resolve the "complex"
issue while maintaining peace and tranquillity on the border.
Significantly, the discussions between the Special
Representatives would for the first time go beyond the
boundary issue to cover "regional and other issues of mutual
The boundary talks between the Special Representatives,
launched in 2003, are in the second phase and are being held
on the basis of Political Parameters and Guiding Principles
agreed between the two countries in 2005.
The two sides are currently exploring the framework for
the final package of the resolution that will cover all
sectors of the border, sources said here today.
The discussions are intended to take into account the
areas with settled population as well, they said.
After the framework is finalised, the actual delineation
of the boundary will start, they said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement