Asaram Bapu case: Narendra Modi asks saints to keep good conduct
New Delhi: Launching an indirect attack on self-styled godman Asaram Bapu accused of sexually assaulting a schoolgirl, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Friday said it is a big blot on society if saints indulge in such indecent attacks.
“If saints will indulge in such things then it is a big mark on society,” he said, while speaking at an event here.
Asaram Bapu has said the allegations of sexual assault are a political conspiracy crafted by Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
“I don`t want to oppose any party, but I`ve been told that all of this has been orchestrated by Madam and her son (Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi). So, I said, let them do whatever they are doing,” Asaram Bapu told media yesterday.
In an immediate U-turn, when asked, by a reporter, if he was directly accusing Sonia Gandhi of playing a part in levelling the accusations, the self-styled godman said: "No, I don`t accuse anyone. I am just saying what I heard, since you (the mediapersons) asked me the question.
According to sources, the Rajasthan Police are unlikely to give more time to spiritual guru Asaram Bapu to appear for questioning in connection with a sexual assault case filed against him by a 16-year-old girl.
The girl has made a complaint at a police station in the national capital on August 20, accusing Asaram Bapu of sexually assaulting her at his ashram in Jodhpur.
Asaram Bapu`s son has defended his father in the sexual assault case, and has called the victim `mentally unstable`.
Earlier, the victim had said in her statement to the police that she was threatened by Asaram Bapu to remain silent about the incident.
Asaram Bapu has been booked under Sections 376, 342, 506 and 509 of the IPC, Section 8 of the Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) and Sections 23 and 26 of the Juvenile Justice Act.
Besides the summons served on Asaram Bapu, notices have also been issued to the manager of Chhindwara gurukul in Madhya Pradesh, hostel warden and the main caretaker of Asaram, who was present at Manai ashram in Jodhpur with him on August 15, when the alleged sexual assault took place there.
The 16-year-old girl, who has accused Asaram Bapu of sexually assaulting her at his ashram in Jodhpur, hails from Uttar Pradesh.
The self-styled godman is likely to be arrested by a team on August 31, if he does not appear before the Jodhpur Police today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal