ASI requested to examine antiquity factor of Quran copy
New Delhi: Pulled up by a court here, Delhi Police has requested the Archaeological Survey of India to determine the antiquity factor of a copy of the Quran seized from a man who tried to sell it for Rs 1 crore.
In a report filed before the court of Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Manish Yaduvanshi said, Delhi Police said it has requested ASI to determine how old was the Quran.
"Investigation officer informs that request has been made to ASI to re-examine the seized holy Quran regarding its age," the court noted.
The judge, however, pointed out that the report does not mention how much time will it take for further probe to ascertain if the book has been in existence for more than 75 years and if it has any literary or aesthetic value.
The report was filed by Joint Commissioner of Police, Crime, in pursuance of the court`s earlier order by which it had pulled up the cops for first seizing the scripture and getting it deposited with the National Archives of India (NAI) on court`s order saying it was an antique piece, and later seeking its release saying it is not an antique as it is not more than 100 years old.
"The Investigating Officer (IO) seems to have hastily arrived at the conclusion that since the holy Quran is not more than 100 years old, it is not covered under the Antiquities and Art Treasure Act, 1972 and therefore, no offence (is made out)," the court had then said.
The case involving the holy book dated back to July 6, 2011 when the Crime Branch got a tip off that old Delhi resident Azaz Ahmed Shakil would be selling his antique piece of Quran for Rs 1 crore to a person at Rajghat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Stephen Constantine names probable squad for Puerto Rico match
- RBI lets banks issue masala bonds, to accept corporate bonds in LAF
- Angry Mehbooba ends press meet with Rajnath abruptly
- Triple treble: How Usain Bolt stormed to another set of gold medals at Rio Olympics – VIDEO
- Two reward-carrying women Naxals arrested; another surrenders