ASI requested to examine antiquity factor of Quran copy
New Delhi: Pulled up by a court here, Delhi Police has requested the Archaeological Survey of India to determine the antiquity factor of a copy of the Quran seized from a man who tried to sell it for Rs 1 crore.
In a report filed before the court of Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Manish Yaduvanshi said, Delhi Police said it has requested ASI to determine how old was the Quran.
"Investigation officer informs that request has been made to ASI to re-examine the seized holy Quran regarding its age," the court noted.
The judge, however, pointed out that the report does not mention how much time will it take for further probe to ascertain if the book has been in existence for more than 75 years and if it has any literary or aesthetic value.
The report was filed by Joint Commissioner of Police, Crime, in pursuance of the court`s earlier order by which it had pulled up the cops for first seizing the scripture and getting it deposited with the National Archives of India (NAI) on court`s order saying it was an antique piece, and later seeking its release saying it is not an antique as it is not more than 100 years old.
"The Investigating Officer (IO) seems to have hastily arrived at the conclusion that since the holy Quran is not more than 100 years old, it is not covered under the Antiquities and Art Treasure Act, 1972 and therefore, no offence (is made out)," the court had then said.
The case involving the holy book dated back to July 6, 2011 when the Crime Branch got a tip off that old Delhi resident Azaz Ahmed Shakil would be selling his antique piece of Quran for Rs 1 crore to a person at Rajghat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price