Assam in anger over Lakhimpur gang-rape
Zee Media Bureau
Guwahati: The people of Assam are in a state of shock. What has angered them is the recent incident of an alleged gang-rape in Lakhimpur district, which has eerie similarities to the December 16, 2012 Delhi gang-rape.
The victim, a 31-year-old woman, was allegedly gang-raped in a moving auto in Lakhimpur district last Friday.
The perpetrators of the crime, apart from outraging the modesty of the woman, also allegedly brutalized her before throwing her out of the moving auto. The victim later died at a hospital.
Like in Delhi last year, the incident has evoked sharp emotions across the state. The people were out on the streets in large numbers yesterday, demanding stiffest punishment for those who committed the crime.
While the police have detained a man in connection with the case, they have yet to confirm the incident as a case of rape and are awaiting the post-mortem report.
The police are also looking into the incident as a case of planned murder or an accident.
The police have even disputed the version of some news channels on the brutality meted out to the victim.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi meanwhile reportedly said the initial autopsy report of the victim, who belonged to Kulabali area, does not indicate rape.
Gogoi said his government has set up a Special Investigation Team to look into the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation