Assault video case: BSF orders court martial against 8
New Delhi: BSF has ordered "court martial"
proceedings against eight of its personnel after a video of
their stripping, kicking and beating a Bangladeshi national
along the Indo-Bangla border in West Bengal`s Murshidabad
district surfaced recently.
The personnel, according to BSF chief Utthan K Bansal,
were found prima facie "guilty" after a court of inquiry was
conducted into the incident which took place early last month.
The personnel can put up their defence during the court
"The staff court of inquiry has been completed (in the
incident). Now, we are ordering a court martial where the
record of evidence will be taken. That is the procedure under
the BSF Act. After that the presiding officer will decide the
level of punishment," the BSF Director General told PTI here.
"Prima facie, they have been found guilty. Now the
extent of the guilt and what defence they (eight jawans) have
to put...all that is part of the court procedure and once we
have that, we will further take action. The Presiding officer
will decide the punishment," he said.
A mobile phone captured the video that surfaced last
month, showing the Border Security Force (BSF) troopers
assaulting a 32-year-old Bangladeshi, identified as Abdul
Sheikh, a resident of Abasia in Chapainawabganj in Bangladesh.
He was allegedly smuggling cattle across the border
when the BSF troops had intercepted him.
The eight personnel belong to the 105th battalion of
the border guarding force and the incident took place in its
Charmurasi boundary outpost in Murshidabad district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray