Assault video case: BSF orders court martial against 8
New Delhi: BSF has ordered "court martial"
proceedings against eight of its personnel after a video of
their stripping, kicking and beating a Bangladeshi national
along the Indo-Bangla border in West Bengal`s Murshidabad
district surfaced recently.
The personnel, according to BSF chief Utthan K Bansal,
were found prima facie "guilty" after a court of inquiry was
conducted into the incident which took place early last month.
The personnel can put up their defence during the court
"The staff court of inquiry has been completed (in the
incident). Now, we are ordering a court martial where the
record of evidence will be taken. That is the procedure under
the BSF Act. After that the presiding officer will decide the
level of punishment," the BSF Director General told PTI here.
"Prima facie, they have been found guilty. Now the
extent of the guilt and what defence they (eight jawans) have
to put...all that is part of the court procedure and once we
have that, we will further take action. The Presiding officer
will decide the punishment," he said.
A mobile phone captured the video that surfaced last
month, showing the Border Security Force (BSF) troopers
assaulting a 32-year-old Bangladeshi, identified as Abdul
Sheikh, a resident of Abasia in Chapainawabganj in Bangladesh.
He was allegedly smuggling cattle across the border
when the BSF troops had intercepted him.
The eight personnel belong to the 105th battalion of
the border guarding force and the incident took place in its
Charmurasi boundary outpost in Murshidabad district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla