Australia provides dossier to India; most attackers under-18
Sydney: The Australian government has released a police dossier of high-profile attacks on Indians over the past year, which shows that nearly half of those arrested since March last year for vicious assaults were less than 18 years old.
The dossier, prepared by Victoria Police, was handed over after Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith telephoned Indian External Affairs Minister SM Krishna on January 11 to express his condolences over the January 2 murder of Indian student Nitin Garg in Melbourne.
It reveals that nearly half of those arrested between March 2009 and January 5 were under 18, The Age reported.
The dossier shows that among the 18 high-profile cases, two cases of attack reported in May and June last year remained unsolved.
"The Australian government initially resisted giving more information to Indians as it deemed racial appearance to be a limited indicator of ethnicity because it was only based on a subjective police assessment," The Age quoted sources as saying.
It claimed people described as Indians could have originated from countries such as Mauritius and Fiji.
The dossier goes on to tell that of the 18 cases, two people were run over by a train and there was no foul play. In the remaining cases, 33 people have been arrested.
The revelations come a day after five youths were charged for assaulting two Indian students in Melbourne Monday night.
The spate of attacks on Indians in Australia has caused an outcry in India. Two of the vicious attacks proved fatal. The assaults have strained relations between Canberra and New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'