Babu Jagjivan Ram remembered on 104th birth anniversary
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and a host of Parliamentarians
on Tuesday offered floral tributes at the statue of Babu Jagjivan
Ram on his 104th birth anniversary.
Several union ministers, MPs, Secretaries-General of Lok
Sabha and Rajya Sabha, T K Viswanathan and V K Agnihotri,
respectively, were also present at a brief function at
Parliament House this morning.
A booklet containing the profile of Babu Jagjivan Ram,
brought out by the Lok Sabha Secretariat, was presented to the
dignitaries who attended the function.
The statue of Babu Jagjivan Ram was unveiled by the then
President Shanker Dayal Sharma in Parliament House in August
Earlier Vice President Hamid Ansari, the Lok Sabha
Speaker, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment
Mukul Wasnik and several members of Parliament paid floral
tributes at Ram`s memorial at `Samta Sthal` on the banks of
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi attended a prayer meeting on
A freedom fighter and a social reformer, Ram served as
minister in the Union Government for a number of years and was
the Defence Minister during the India-Pakistan war of 1971.
He quit the Congress in 1977 and was Deputy Prime Minister
in the Janata Party government headed by Morarji Desai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked