Bajrang Dal threatens to disrupt Valentine`s Day festivities
Berhampur: After halting a beauty contest and stalling an opening show of Shah Rukh Khan-starrer `My Name is Khan`, the Bajrang Dal on Saturday threatened to disrupt Valentine`s Day celebrations.
The right-wing outfit threatened to marry off youths
celebrating Valentine`s Day in this Silk City and said those
who defied their appeal would be handed over to police or to
their parents with advise not to repeat it any more.
The saffron brigade will move to vulnerable locations
like parks, restaurants and other places, where young boys and
girls were likely to date on the occasion, state chief of the
outfit Ramakanta Rath told reporters here.
"We will not encourage the celebration of Valentine`s
Day and the members of the Bajrang Dal will keep a close
vigil," he said on the eve of V-Day.
Claiming that celebration of Valentine`s Day by unmarried
young boys and girls was against the Indian culture, Rath
said, "We will oppose this anti-nationalist and alien
Yesterday, Bajrang Bal activists stopped screening of `My
Name is Khan` in Berhampur and Sambalpur. Khan was embroiled
in a controversy after he favoured participation of Pakistani
cricketers in the Indian Premier League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts
- Rio Olympics: Pele congratulates Brazil on football gold
- Handful of vested interests inciting trouble in Kashmir: J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti