Ban Congress over minorities quota: VHP to EC
New Delhi: Targeting Congress over the issue
of sub-quota for minorities, the VHP on Thursday said the ruling
party took the action for political benefit to seek votes
on basis of religion and should be debarred from fighting the
upcoming elections in the five states.
A VHP delegation led by its vice president Om Prakash
Singhal submitted a memorandum with the Election Commission
and demanded withdrawal of the government order for carving
out a sub-quota for the minority communities.
"The said religion-based reservation would divide the
country. The impugned executive order by the government
amounts to providing reservation on the basis of religion,
which is prohibited by Articles 15(1) and 16(2) of the
constitution," VHP said in its memorandum.
An executive order on December 22 just before the
announcement of the polling dates in Uttar Pradesh, Punjab,
Uttarkand, Manipur and Goa is, in our view, a pre-poll
exploitive stunt meant to influence the minority community to
attract its votes, the memorandum said.
Demanding action against Congress over the decision, the
VHP said, "We request the ECI to take action against Congress
party for using its official position for the purpose of its
election campaign in the aforesaid states."
The timing of using the state machinery to give
reservation to the minorities is a blatant violation of the
model code of conduct, it alleged.
Terming the step as unconstitutional, the VHP said, "It
would divide the society on the basis of caste and religion
and cause social unrest in the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Bollywood celebrities recall Rahul Dev Burman on his 77th birthday
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet to decide final payout for central government employees on June 29
- Apple cheers 2016 Pride celebration with a special rainbow Apple Watch!
- Heavy rainfall expected in Vidarbha, Telangana, Andhra; Monsoon set to enter Delhi, Punjab, Haryana
- India's spectrum proceeds seen way below target at $10-$12 bn: HSBC