Bangladesh defends Indian security deployment at embassy
Dhaka: Bangladesh on Thursday said foreign
embassies here could deploy their own security personnel to
guard their premises, dismissing opposition criticism over
reports that India had sent a 50 member security squad for to
secure its mission.
"The foreign missions can undertake steps on their own
for the security and carry out other programmes inside their
premises under the Vienna Convention," a foreign ministry
She added that the premises of the foreign embassies were
beyond the purview of the domestic law of the host countries.
The foreign office comments came a day after newspapers
reported that India sent a 50-member security team for its
embassy and main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP)
expressed concerns that their deployment could undermine
Meanwhile, Home Minister Sahara Khatun`s comment two days
ago that said she was unaware about India`s move to deploy its
own security personnel at the high commission, came in for
criticism by her party.
Official sources said Khatun came under criticism by her
cabinet colleagues for making "confusing comments" at a
cabinet meeting with Premier Sheikh Hasina last night.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know