Bangladesh releases 59 Indian prisoners
New Delhi: Bangladesh has released 59 Indian prisoners languishing in jails after completing their sentence following the intervention of the National Human
Rights Commission (NHRC).
The External Affairs Ministry informed NHRC Chairperson Justice (Retd) KG Balakrishnan today about the development and as also its efforts to secure the release of another 17 Indian prisoners who have also completed their jail-term.
The NHRC had in November 2010 took suo motu cognizance of the matter and issued notice to the Ministry during Balakrishnan`s visit to Dhaka, an NHRC spokesperson said.
The issuance of notice came after Chairperson of Bangladesh Human Rights Commission told Balakrishnan that 76 Indian prisoners were languishing in jails after their jail term as the Indian authorities were not making any efforts to
secure their release, the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble