Bangladesh releases 59 Indian prisoners
New Delhi: Bangladesh has released 59 Indian prisoners languishing in jails after completing their sentence following the intervention of the National Human
Rights Commission (NHRC).
The External Affairs Ministry informed NHRC Chairperson Justice (Retd) KG Balakrishnan today about the development and as also its efforts to secure the release of another 17 Indian prisoners who have also completed their jail-term.
The NHRC had in November 2010 took suo motu cognizance of the matter and issued notice to the Ministry during Balakrishnan`s visit to Dhaka, an NHRC spokesperson said.
The issuance of notice came after Chairperson of Bangladesh Human Rights Commission told Balakrishnan that 76 Indian prisoners were languishing in jails after their jail term as the Indian authorities were not making any efforts to
secure their release, the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef