Be careful while reporting crimes on women: Katju
Chennai: Press Council of India chairman
Justice Markandey Katju on Tuesday advised the media to exercise
restraint while reporting crimes on women, particularly sexual
assault, saying their chances of getting married would be hit
if it was done.
"The woman`s name should not be published, particularly if
she is unmarried in the case of sexual assault, then her
chances of getting married will get jeopardised. It should not
damage their marriage prospects," he said.
Since India is a `conservative` country, publishing their
names might harm their marriage prospects, he said. "If you
publish a report that a woman has been raped or whatever,
people may not like to marry her. They should avoid mentioning
Earlier, he chaired the second Sitting of Inquiry
Committee and heard cases involving media houses.
One case involved an Andhra Pradesh-based nurse
(complainant) who alleged her name was telecast on TV channels
and published newspapers after she was sexually assaulted.
"Why did you publish her name? You are not bothered. You want
sensation," Katju told the respondent and gave them one month
to file a reply.
Katju also said that a circular on this regard would be
sent to all media houses in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!