Belgian guard dogs to be used in Naxal areas
Bangalore: Where man has failed, man`s best friend is being pressed into service. The central security forces have imported a little known breed of Belgian shepherd dogs to provide troops with early warning of Naxal attack.
These dogs, of the "Malinois" breed, will be deployed in the Naxal infested areas of Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh where about 120 security men have been killed in the past four months.
Malinois Belgian shepherds have been used with success by NATO troops in Afghanistan and Israeli troops in Gaza. The eight Malinois being trained near Bangalore for anti-Naxal duty are the litter of an Israeli male Malinois which was crossed with an American bitch.
These guard dogs will accompany CRPF patrols in the Naxal areas where previous patrols have been caught off guard and massacred by Naxal militants.
The dogs are also being trained in explosives detection and this will help in sniffing out Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) which have in the past been found buried
beneath tarred roads.
The four-month old Malinois Belgian shepherd are presently undergoing 22-weeks training near Bangalore and will later be sent for an advanced course to the Indo-Tibetan
Border Police`s (ITBP) National Centre for Dog Training near Chandigarh where they will receive specialised training in explosives and narcotics detection.
Compared to the better known German shepherd, the Belgian shepherd is a coarser looking breed with a bigger head and heavier snout, and is therefore not popular as a domestic pet.
But they have been proved to be extremely effective for tracking duties in terrains similar to the Naxal infested areas of Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and the contiguous areas of
Orissa and West Bengal.
The security forces are hoping they will be able to provide early warning of an impending ambush in such terrain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’