Belgian guard dogs to be used in Naxal areas
Bangalore: Where man has failed, man`s best friend is being pressed into service. The central security forces have imported a little known breed of Belgian shepherd dogs to provide troops with early warning of Naxal attack.
These dogs, of the "Malinois" breed, will be deployed in the Naxal infested areas of Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh where about 120 security men have been killed in the past four months.
Malinois Belgian shepherds have been used with success by NATO troops in Afghanistan and Israeli troops in Gaza. The eight Malinois being trained near Bangalore for anti-Naxal duty are the litter of an Israeli male Malinois which was crossed with an American bitch.
These guard dogs will accompany CRPF patrols in the Naxal areas where previous patrols have been caught off guard and massacred by Naxal militants.
The dogs are also being trained in explosives detection and this will help in sniffing out Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) which have in the past been found buried
beneath tarred roads.
The four-month old Malinois Belgian shepherd are presently undergoing 22-weeks training near Bangalore and will later be sent for an advanced course to the Indo-Tibetan
Border Police`s (ITBP) National Centre for Dog Training near Chandigarh where they will receive specialised training in explosives and narcotics detection.
Compared to the better known German shepherd, the Belgian shepherd is a coarser looking breed with a bigger head and heavier snout, and is therefore not popular as a domestic pet.
But they have been proved to be extremely effective for tracking duties in terrains similar to the Naxal infested areas of Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and the contiguous areas of
Orissa and West Bengal.
The security forces are hoping they will be able to provide early warning of an impending ambush in such terrain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ