Bias against girl child unacceptable: President
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday said bias against girl child prevailing in some sections of the society is totally unacceptable and suggested raising public awareness to check it.
In a meeting with the participants of `Save Girl Child` skating rally here, the President congratulated the organisers for taking up the responsibility of building awareness on an important subject relating to the girl child.
Mukherjee remarked that the bias against the girl child prevalent in some sections of the society in India was totally unacceptable in any civilised society, a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson said in a statement.
The rally was organised by Belgaum Roller Skating Academy, Belgaum to portray the cause of `Save The Girl Child Campaign`, and covered a distance of nearly 2,000-km, passing through states including Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
Mukherjee was glad that children, who participated in the rally were under 15 years, had undertaken the strenuous and hazardous challenge to raise public consciousness against the abuse and violence of the girl child, it said.
Consisting of over 20 students, the nearly 16-day skating rally was flagged off from Rani Chennamma Circle, Belgaum, Karnataka on August 15 and yesterday reached Vijay Chowk here.
The rally consisted of students who have won state and national-level awards in skating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi