Bill on crime against women at the beginning of Budget session
New Delhi: Government is planning to bring a fresh Bill to replace the ordinance on crime against women issued on Sunday, within the first few days of the Budget session of Parliament beginning February 21.
"We are working on priority. The Bill will be introduced within first few days of the Budget session," a top Home Ministry official said.
The move to introduce the Bill incorporating all provisions to deal with crime against women at the beginning of the session was taken as it is obligatory for the government to introduce a Bill to replace the ordinance and to get it passed in Parliament within six weeks of its promulgation.
Government will try to get Parliament`s nod to the proposed Bill before the recess of the Budget session beginning March 23.
The proposed Bill will incorporate all relevant provisions of the ordinance promulgated on February 3 and suggestions of pending Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill 2012.
According to the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance, 2013, any person who inflicts an injury that causes death of a victim in a sexual assault or leaves her in a persistent vegetative state shall face punishment up to death.
The ordinance was issued in the wake of public protests over December 16 gang-rape of a girl in Delhi and demand for tougher anti-rape law.
It enhances punishment for sexual assault by husband upon his wife during separation and such crime will lead up to seven years of imprisonment.
"Whoever, commits an offence punishable under sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) of section 376 (rape) and in the course of such commission inflicts an injury which causes the death of the person or causes the person to be in a persistent vegetative state, shall be punished with rigorous imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than 20 years, but which may extend to imprisonment for life, which shall mean the remainder of that person`s natural life, or with death," the ordinance says.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump