Bill on crime against women at the beginning of Budget session
New Delhi: Government is planning to bring a fresh Bill to replace the ordinance on crime against women issued on Sunday, within the first few days of the Budget session of Parliament beginning February 21.
"We are working on priority. The Bill will be introduced within first few days of the Budget session," a top Home Ministry official said.
The move to introduce the Bill incorporating all provisions to deal with crime against women at the beginning of the session was taken as it is obligatory for the government to introduce a Bill to replace the ordinance and to get it passed in Parliament within six weeks of its promulgation.
Government will try to get Parliament`s nod to the proposed Bill before the recess of the Budget session beginning March 23.
The proposed Bill will incorporate all relevant provisions of the ordinance promulgated on February 3 and suggestions of pending Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill 2012.
According to the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance, 2013, any person who inflicts an injury that causes death of a victim in a sexual assault or leaves her in a persistent vegetative state shall face punishment up to death.
The ordinance was issued in the wake of public protests over December 16 gang-rape of a girl in Delhi and demand for tougher anti-rape law.
It enhances punishment for sexual assault by husband upon his wife during separation and such crime will lead up to seven years of imprisonment.
"Whoever, commits an offence punishable under sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) of section 376 (rape) and in the course of such commission inflicts an injury which causes the death of the person or causes the person to be in a persistent vegetative state, shall be punished with rigorous imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than 20 years, but which may extend to imprisonment for life, which shall mean the remainder of that person`s natural life, or with death," the ordinance says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared