BJP blames Govt for violence during gang-rape protests
New Delhi: Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader M Venkaiah Naidu on Tuesday held the Congress-led UPA Government`s inaction, indecision and insensitivity in the Delhi gang-rape case responsible for the present chaotic situation in the country.
Naidu said Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh`s address to the nation was disappointing, and added that there was nothing specific in it.
"People of the country expected firm steps to be announced by the honourable Prime Minister, but unfortunately it did not happen. And the way in which the Home Minister made a statement yesterday, it was provoking. He made uncharitable comments against the protestors and he spoke in a very light manner about the need to have a dialogue with the agitators," said Naidu.
"India is a free country. People of the country have got the right to assemble, right to protest, right to demand things from the government. But unfortunately the inaction, the indecision and insensitivity of the government have led to the present situation. Had they taken adequate steps in the beginning itself, these situations would not have arisen at all," he added.
Nadu further said the people of the country now feel that the system has let them down.
The protests this weekend in the national capital demanding justice for the 23-year-old gang-rape victim resulted in a series of clashes with the police, which used batons, water-cannons, and teargas on the crowd.
Miscreants, who infiltrated the protesters, set a car on fire and rushed police barricades, before setting wooden benches on fire.
Delhi Police constable Subhash Tomar, who had suffered serious injuries when a protest against the gang-rape of a young medical student turned violent at India Gate on Sunday, died after battling for life at the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital here this morning.
Tomar, who was on ventilator since his admission in the hospital on Sunday evening, was declared dead at 6: 40 a.m.
Tomar was a graduate from Meerut in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM