BJP blames Govt for violence during gang-rape protests
New Delhi: Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader M Venkaiah Naidu on Tuesday held the Congress-led UPA Government`s inaction, indecision and insensitivity in the Delhi gang-rape case responsible for the present chaotic situation in the country.
Naidu said Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh`s address to the nation was disappointing, and added that there was nothing specific in it.
"People of the country expected firm steps to be announced by the honourable Prime Minister, but unfortunately it did not happen. And the way in which the Home Minister made a statement yesterday, it was provoking. He made uncharitable comments against the protestors and he spoke in a very light manner about the need to have a dialogue with the agitators," said Naidu.
"India is a free country. People of the country have got the right to assemble, right to protest, right to demand things from the government. But unfortunately the inaction, the indecision and insensitivity of the government have led to the present situation. Had they taken adequate steps in the beginning itself, these situations would not have arisen at all," he added.
Nadu further said the people of the country now feel that the system has let them down.
The protests this weekend in the national capital demanding justice for the 23-year-old gang-rape victim resulted in a series of clashes with the police, which used batons, water-cannons, and teargas on the crowd.
Miscreants, who infiltrated the protesters, set a car on fire and rushed police barricades, before setting wooden benches on fire.
Delhi Police constable Subhash Tomar, who had suffered serious injuries when a protest against the gang-rape of a young medical student turned violent at India Gate on Sunday, died after battling for life at the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital here this morning.
Tomar, who was on ventilator since his admission in the hospital on Sunday evening, was declared dead at 6: 40 a.m.
Tomar was a graduate from Meerut in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert