BJP criticises Mamata for frequently changing allies
Kolkata: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday took a dig at Mamata Banerjee`s Trinamool Congress for "frequently changing allies and hobnobbing with Maoists".
Speaking at a rally in the Kolkata, senior leader L.K. Advani said, "It (Trinamool) keeps on changing allies, sometimes with this party, sometimes with that party. How can you trust such a party?".
Although the Trinamool and the BJP were alliance partners from 1998 to 2008, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee has been switching her allegiance frequently between the BJP and the Congress.
She first walked out of the Vajpayee government to protest the petrol price hike. Then, in the wake of the Tehelka controversy, she deserted the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government at the centre and formed a coalition with the Congress for the 2001 West Bengal assembly elections. When this attempt to oust the ruling Left Front failed, she returned to the NDA in just six months.
The two parties again formally parted ways when the Trinamool forged an alliance with the Congress during the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.
Senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley, criticising Banerjee for her alleged nexus with the Maoists, said, "It is unfortunate to see that West Bengal, which once was the most prosperous state in the country, has on one hand the Marxists while on the other, there are those who support the Maoists."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof