BJP criticises Mamata for frequently changing allies
Kolkata: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday took a dig at Mamata Banerjee`s Trinamool Congress for "frequently changing allies and hobnobbing with Maoists".
Speaking at a rally in the Kolkata, senior leader L.K. Advani said, "It (Trinamool) keeps on changing allies, sometimes with this party, sometimes with that party. How can you trust such a party?".
Although the Trinamool and the BJP were alliance partners from 1998 to 2008, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee has been switching her allegiance frequently between the BJP and the Congress.
She first walked out of the Vajpayee government to protest the petrol price hike. Then, in the wake of the Tehelka controversy, she deserted the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government at the centre and formed a coalition with the Congress for the 2001 West Bengal assembly elections. When this attempt to oust the ruling Left Front failed, she returned to the NDA in just six months.
The two parties again formally parted ways when the Trinamool forged an alliance with the Congress during the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.
Senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley, criticising Banerjee for her alleged nexus with the Maoists, said, "It is unfortunate to see that West Bengal, which once was the most prosperous state in the country, has on one hand the Marxists while on the other, there are those who support the Maoists."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why